The Eternal Journey

The Eternal Journey

Attention !!!


Scene :

Buzzz.. Buzzz… Buzz...……. Hardly after I get into my car and start driving to office in the morning, my phone starts to ring. I try and divert my attention from the steering wheel and pick the call, 9 out of 10 times, from my wife.

"Hey. What's this. You've done it again... I've got fed up of telling you this almost everyday. I don't really understand what's wrong with you. I seem to get an impression that you don't value me and my efforts of getting up early in the morning and like an idiot, struggling to manage too many things only to cook your breakfast and lunch and how mean of you to forget carrying your lunch box. And you know what? The glass of milk that I had kept for you is still lying on the table untouched. I am out of words..………………………………" and she goes on.

Ensuring that I do not divert my attention from the road ahead, I just try and give a deep sigh just to try and interrupt her flow of words just because I can do nothing nor can I say anything against her on this.

And I finally end up going back home and carrying the box with me. On days when my element of forgetfulness is just my breakfast or my milk, I don't really give a damn and continue my drive to office, giving a very indifferent response to my wife to the extent that it ends up irritating her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is typical of most of the days with me. I find it so silly that I can neither curse myself nor curse my wife for no fault of hers. And this is just one instance of my forgetfulness.

When I think about it, is it really forgetfulness? Probably Yes. Probably No. However, I'm certain that it is due to lack of attention. When I see myself rushing in the morning to get going to office everyday, I am so focussed on my tasks that I tend to miss things done by others (like the breakfast or lunch prepared by my wife). While the reasoning may sound very simple, I see that my attention span to things has reduced and therefore, I can't ignore it. 

Well, I have come to terms with it by ensuring that I exit my door in the morning with my hands full. In case I don't see my hands full, I check with my wife if I forgot something. This helps me avoid any inconvenience for myself and frustration for my wife. And ever since I started consciously following this, I haven't experienced the scene for the last 2 months. I think it was all about staying focussed on the task in hand and allowing myself to keep a check on whether everything pertaining to the task of leaving home has been duly complied with.

In this age wherein there is an overflow of everything around us, the level of distractions are also very high. If we want to buy anything, we have too many choices. If we want to know anything, there is an overload of information. Many times, we do not even know the authenticity of the information we access. I am reminded of a phrase used by Mr. Anand Mahindra of "Being mindful in this age of Distraction" and I now see why it is so important. I see that the poor / low attention span of the current generation is one of the most important cause of forgetfulness. 

It is therefore very important to just stay focussed on what we are doing and by practice, avoid getting distracted towards anything else while we are doing a particular task. 

WOW: Write About Something You Frequently Forget


‘This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda

P.S.: 

Disclaimer : For those of you who got offended reading that I use my mobile phone while driving, I'd like to clarify that my car is considerate enough to allow me to pair my phone to it through Bluetooth. So, No Road Safety rules have been violated while enacting the depicted scene every now and then.

image


Share on Google Plus

About Uday Sankar Yerramilli

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 comments :

  1. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to “return the favor”.I'm
    trying to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for SEO

    ReplyDelete